1. Some people said they prefer to never alter the settings on their hearing aids.
2. Some people said they turned their hearing aids down because of traffic or wind noise and were extra vigilant and looked for warnings.
3. Some people turn their hearing aid down and others switch it off and remove it. However, with both solutions it is important to remember that you are hearing less sound and you may not hear warning sounds. That means that you will have to look carefully for the approach of any traffic.
4. I find a sheltered spot out of the wind and talk there.
5. Some people said that when they adjusted their aid they checked whether their voice had got too loud.